Proper Facial Cleansing for Men & Women
Most people, including those who otherwise invest significant time and effort into various cosmetic procedures, overlook the importance of proper cleansing, exfoliating, and toning when it comes to facial skincare. Today I want to underscore how valuable a proper facial cleansing regimen is with respect to appearance and anti-aging effects and offer some product recommendations.
Summoning my inner dentist – and being as exasperating as yours is with reminders about the importance of flossing – I cannot stress enough how imperative it is for everyone to be properly cleaning their faces daily!
It is commonplace for people to not put enough care into cleansing their face, or simply skip this step.
Daily, our faces are exposed to a host of potential sources of damage including UV exposure, dirt and pollutants, sweat, dead skin cells, bacteria, and other certain harsh environments (both outdoors and in).
Naturally, our skin creates sebum which is an oily substance that works to protect our skin from damage, however, without proper cleaning the sebum can blend in with any dirt, debris or makeup left on your face and end up clogging skin cells and hair follicles―this can result in a variety of skin issues including a blotchy or unhealthy appearance, acne, and other issues.
Proper washing works to remove any dirt, oil, and debris. This helps to prevent skin issues related to the appearance of your skin but also allows exfoliating and toning products to properly pass through to the skin, the latter being a point that is highly overlooked. If you are purchasing and applying topical skin products regularly, you must ensure that your face is clean enough to actually absorb the product!
Exfoliating is a crucial second step in a proper facial cleansing regimen to ensure that you are effectively removing any dead skin cells left over on your face. Exfoliation products are generally comprised of a more granular agent that is used to scrub the face. Dead skin cells that remain on the face can clog pores, resulting in a dry-looking appearance, and lead to some of the skin-related issues mentioned above. Proper exfoliation doesn’t help just to remove dead skin cells, but also can work to brighten your face and increase the effectiveness of other skin products.
Another longer-term benefit of exfoliation is the potential to fight the signs of aging by increasing the production of collagen. It works by stimulating your skin’s natural ability to heal itself and, in the process, produces collagen and elastin — the skin’s process of repair, which results in a thickening of the derm. This improves skin elasticity, and thus minimizes age-related skin issues such as sagging and fine lines.
Toning is the third and final step. Following the use of a facial cleanser and exfoliator, toner is applied to assist in removing any excess traces of makeup, dirt, and oil. Toners also help to reduce the appearance of pores, improve blood flow to the skin and restore the natural pH level of the skin (which ensures proper retention of other skin products and moisture). Given this, toners are a critical product to use before applying other skin creams and moisturizers. Toners generally contain certain acids, antioxidants, and anti-inflammatories that work towards these results.
These three steps leave your face clean and ready for any other skin creams such as moisturizing products, which are recommended, particularly after toning, which can leave the face feeling dry.
As I am sure most of you can attest, the lion’s share of over-the-counter skincare products are rarely effective at achieving what they’re intended to. There are many medical-grade products available on the market that most are unaware of exist because they can only be sold by certain entities. The brands that I carry, for example, include much stronger ingredients and work more effectively to combat certain skin issues as well as signs of aging. These medical-grade products work harder to cleanse, exfoliate, tone, and protect the skin. Most of these lines generally contain various products and have programs for users to follow, depending on their needs. Below are the products that I carry, use daily and recommend to my clients.
ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Cleanser
A gentle exfoliating cleanser for normal to oily skin that targets surface oil leaving the skin feeling clean, but not stripped and dry.
- Jojoba Esters: Exfoliates dead skin cells
- Encapsulated vitamin E: Antioxidant
- Rids the skin of dirt and surface oil
- Unclogs pores with exfoliation
- Calms and soothes irritated skin
ZO Skin Health Exfoliating Polish
Magnesium crystals exfoliate dead skin cells to create a clear, smooth, and even-toned complexion. Named one of the 6 Best Face Scrubs to Exfoliate Your Way to Smooth Skin – Good Housekeeping Institute Beauty Lab.
- Ultra-fine magnesium crystals: Removes dead skin cells, improves skin texture, promotes healthy circulation and cell turnover
- Vitamins A, C, C-ester, and E: Deliver antioxidant protection
- Magnesium crystals provide exfoliation benefits
- Instantly polishes skin to restore a smoother texture and healthy glow
- Removes dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores
ZO Skin Health Dual Action Scrub
Dual-action exfoliation helps remove dead skin cells and excess surface oils that can lead to clogged pores.
- Dual-action exfoliation
- Targets surface oil and bacteria
- Calms and soothes the skin
ZO Skin Health Complexion Renewal Pads
Moistened pads help minimize surface oil and exfoliate pore-clogging dead skin cells and dirt.
- Glycolic acid: Proven epidermal exfoliant
- Botanical extract blend: Provides anti-irritant properties to soothe skin and reduce redness; also provides antioxidant benefits
- The texture of pads: Specifically designed to help promote exfoliation
- Dual-action exfoliation removes dead skin cells to prevent clogged pores
- Reduces oiliness and minimizes surface oil
- Calms and soothes irritated skin
ZO Skin Health Oil Control Pads
An invigorating acne treatment prevention solution designed to be used with a complementary acne treatment program. The oil control pads remove oil, normalize pore size, help smooth skin’s surface and reduce irritation.
- Salicylic acid 2%: Acne treatment and prevention
- Rosa canina (dog rose) fruit extract: Addresses excess surface oil; minimizes the appearance of pores
- Mandelic acid, Glycolic acid:Exfoliates the skin
- Urea: Helps to restore moisture and hydrationHelps replenish and retain hydration in the skin
- Texture of pads: Promotes exfoliation
- Removes dead skin cells
- Removes dirt and oil from the pores
- Salicylic acid provides acne treatment
- Targets oiliness and minimizes the appearance of pores
- Cooling agent soothes skin irritation